Thursday, February 21, 2008

somewhere in the middle you fall...


It's 9:30 on a Thursday and I'm beat. yet another busy week. I was happy to spend the evening at home with dinner and a movie. one of Ms Nola's posts last fall has inspired me to share a recipe: chicken piccata.

chicken breast, usually pounded flat btwn 2 pieces of Saranwrap with a rolling pin
salt, peppered, and lightly floured
cooked in a little oil over medium high heat until lightly browned
remove chicken and add a little minced garlic
followed by lemon slices and a combination of chicken broth and white wine
reduce
add more lemon juice and capers
reduce again
remove from heat and melt in some butter, pour over the chicken

yum! pair that with some couscous, broccoli and another big glass of white wine and you would have my dinner for the evening. I curled up with Dame Judi Dench ("Mrs. Henderson Presents"), a giant box of Jelly Bellies (gift), and the pink baby booties I am finishing for my friend Julie who's due in March. a great night all around.

the last 2 nights this week have been music-filled ones. on Tuesday I went to the Fabulous Fox Theater for the first time to see Avenue Q. it was a belated b-day gift from my friend Gnat. and it rocked. it's not often that I see musicals (my only others being The Who's Tommy and Rent) and it's even less often that I relate to the songs and the characters... in this case, puppets. seriously. Gnat and I were especially drawn to the Bad Idea Bears- who in high pitched voices proclaim the wisdom of buying a case of beer to save money in the long run and the virtues of LITs. more drinks, more fun!

I spent today coming down from the emotional high of seeing Erin Mckeown play live last night at Wash U. for those of you who know my aural proclivities, you know I lovingly refer to Erin as my original rock n roll gf. I saw her live for the first time in 1999 when she played Bryn Mawr College's May Day. The second time was in February of 2000. she was solo. it was Valentine's weekend and I had recently broken up with my first girlfriend. I told her she was the highlight of my weekend, and with that she emblazoned the name to my copy of her first cd: "McKEOWN the Highlight." I spent 5 years going to see her play from Providence to Baltimore, catching almost every single show she did in Philly. I even gave her a Valentine one year... a hand-made collage/card with the lyrics of the Magnetic Fields' "Love is like a bottle of gin" scribbled inside. she is my A#1 crush.

I haven't seen Erin perform live since moving to StL in summer of 2004. the show last night was worth the wait. it was organized by a group of undergraduate women- the Committee on Women and Art. and Erin's event was part music, part lecture, and part discussion. to hear someone that I admire and respect so much as an artist talk about politics and feminism and identity... I was completely awe-struck. it was probably one of the most intimate experiences I have ever had with someone I don't really know. hearing Erin's music, listening to her speak about herself and what she thinks and believes about issues that are important to me. I couldn't have asked for anything better. she answered a question I asked about gender presentation in her music... something I'm sure is a somewhat personal topic. but she was so candid and honest. and then closed with probably one of my all-time favorite songs of hers, "Daisy and Prudence." luckily I didn't melt onto the floor.

after the show: again, the signing of CDs. wanting to linger to talk to her more, but not wanting to be obnoxious... standing outside and staring up at the lunar eclipse. what a night! I was so amped up afterwards I didn't sleep until almost 1 am. maybe it's weird to be this intense about someone who you barely know, to make them iconic could be a bit dangerous. but Erin makes me giddy in a way I don't think I have ever felt about anyone. strange, but true. in the end, I suppose it's okay to hang on to the idea of my rock n roll gf. even if it is only beauty just because...

No comments: