Tuesday, August 14, 2007

spy like US

I was returning from the float trip last weekend when I heard that Congress had passed the "overhaul" to the FISA law. and unfortunately, our new Democratic senator from MO, Claire McCaskill, voted for the "Protect America Act of 2007"- obviously, I'm not happy about it. here's the email I sent her office...
Dear Senator McCaskill,

I am writing because of your vote to pass the "Protect America Act of 2007" last week. I am disappointed that you have given the Bush Administration further accessibility into the private lives of American citizens by adopting these changes to the FISA law. It is especially startling that these modifications allow our Attorney General, not a court or independent body, to issue warrants for phone calls and email communications without additional scrutiny and limited oversight by Congress. As I'm sure you are aware, the Attorney General is currently under investigation by Congress for his involvement in the politicization of the Justice Department and firing of US Attorneys. The fact that you would vote to give permission for the Attorney General to wiretap American citizens is shocking!

I was thrilled when you won our Senate seat, hoping that you would work for change in Washington. In general, I have been pleased with your stance on most issues. However, your current position on the FISA program is not acceptable to me as a MO resident who values privacy rights for all citizens and the proper oversight for the executive branch when it feels necessary to listen to any American's communications.

Sincerely,
Alexis B. Webb
grumble grumble. I will keep you posted on any response that I receive. the bill has a 6-month sunset date, if this is much of a silver lining. Congress, including several Democratic members, has given the Bush Administration legal cover for its continued warrantless wiring tapping efforts until next February. How is this okay? Polling data shows that most Americans (this is not a partisan issue, friends) think that eavesdropping on citizens is not cool. we can all hope that Congress actually changes the FISA law during this time to allow for more, not less, oversight. but it should happen sooner and not later, if we have any hope of getting the Bush Administration's hands out of the privacy rights cookie jar.

for more info on all things FISA and other goodness, check out Glenn Greenwald's blog over at Salon. if I was to ever fall for the cartoon version of someone, it would have to be Glenn Greenwald- man, I dig his cartoon-self!

also, this animation featuring "Snuggly the Security Bear" is quite informative.

No comments: