Friday, August 24, 2007

I am as constant as a northern star...

constant in the darkness, where's that at?

it's been a week of intense flux here. and honestly, flux is not a bad thing. it's too easy to be complacent about who and where you are in your life. sometimes we all need a good challenge. I am more than ready for it. to evolve. how very adult of me, right?

I heard an amazing cover of joni mitchell's "case of you" on the radio yesterday. the band who was performing totally punched up the baseline and it had a driving intensity, such a contrast to mitchell's open tuning acoustics. you could really feel the longing within the lyrics- in a different way than I had ever heard it before. "case" was on a mix tape that my first college girlfriend gave me when I was 19. seems like a lifetime ago. in late adolescence I think we often believe that only our experiences have truly run the gamut of emotion. no one could possibly feel what we feel, have felt. at 19 I was there with joni in the bar, I was feeling what she was feeling. at least that's what I thought at the time.

sitting on my back porch this week, looking at the stars, laura mentioned that she thinks about how old the light from the stars is- it has traveled so far to reach us it's likely that those stars may no longer even exist. talk about being constant... to be present and observed by others long after you yourself have been extinguished. I would want to be a star, an institution in the sky. that way, regardless of when I burned out and faded away, it would take lifetimes before I could truly be gone.

I'd have permanence, even in a state of flux.

1 comment:

Deacon Blues said...

"The Hissing of Summer Lawns" has always been my favorite Joni album. Remind me sometime to tell you my Joni Mitchell Date Story (if you haven't already heard it).

BDW