Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Endeavor and Barbara Morgan

The Challenger Space Shuttle exploded on my 6th birthday. I have vivid memories of watching the television at my grandparents after kindergarten (it was a half-day) during the launch and the explosion that immediately followed.

Next year, for my 1st grade space unit, my Dad and I built a space-rover and painted it red and blue with a plastic hatch made from some toy packaging. we named it the USS McAullife after the teacher who died in the Challenger accident, Christa McAullife.

Today the teacher who served as Ms. McAullife's backup, Barbara Morgan, will board the Shuttle Endeavor for its first launch in 5 years. I applaud her for carrying on the dream that ended so abruptly on January 28, 1986. As a child who grew up observing the space program operating in the shadow of that tragedy, I am happy to see a teacher will again have this opportunity. Have a safe journey, Barbara. We will see you touch the future.

1 comment:

Deacon Blues said...

I'm not sure but I think that Rover may still exist somewhere. It always bothered me that it happened on your birthday; I hoped it didn't traumatize you too much. I'm a child of the space age; I always dreamed of retiring in a space colony -- oh well. Maybe you'll get that chance. The most I can hope for is that we'll finally hear a signal from an intelligent source somewhere else in the universe.

Big Daddy Webb