Wednesday, September 16, 2009

push it

Those who know me from my teacher days remember that I like to use metaphors to explain "big picture" ideas in science... well, the reverse is also true. Life can be described by science concepts just as easily. If you're around me long enough you realize I have a tendency to geek out on everyday things. Take last week for example: while drinking a koozied PBR chased with nips of Jamie from a monogrammed flask, overlooking the moonlit fountains of Forest Park's Grand Basin from Art Hill, I waxed philosophical about my "beyond karma" view of how I try to live my life. Here goes...

In chemical reactions, rarely does the system transition to completion. In other words, the amounts of reactants and products move back and forth until some kind of equilibrium is reached. But both sides ALWAYS exist. The same could be said for good and bad things in one's life. They co-exist so you have to take them both together. But as with a system at chemical equilibrium, you can drive the reaction in one way or another. Le Chatelier's principle states that given a chemical reaction at equilibrium, you can force the direction of the reaction to one side by altering certain properties. So you raise the temperature. Or you increase the pressure. Or you change the concentration. Given that stress the system is pushed away from equilibrium and to produce more of one side at the expense of the other. In life, I am looking for ways that I can be in the world that drive the reaction to the good side. It's not a passive act, like karma, where we believe that putting good out into the world is enough to get more good to come back our way at some point in the future... There will always be balance of good and bad; you can't wait around thinking that doing good will always be enough to push your life away from the bad stuff that happens. You have to change the bad into good... you have to work against equilibrium in some way.

Make it happen.

No comments: