Wednesday, September 26, 2007

from the desk of Claire McCaskill

some of you might remember the letter that I sent to my Senator, Claire McCaskill, after the FISA vote at the beginning of August. this was before Attorney General Gonzales resigned and my life entered its current tailspin... another story altogether with nothing to do with Gonzo. but I mentioned that I would share any reply that I received. Here's the email I got last week:
Dear Ms. Webb:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Protect America Act of 2007 (S. 1927). I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the chance to respond.

On August 1, 2007, I was faced with a stark reality: the Director of National Intelligence sent a letter warning the Senate of the heightened threat of international terrorism, and urging us to modernize the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) before the August recess “to ensure that we do not have critical gaps in our ability to provide warnings of threats to the country”. The call to quickly revise FISA in order to reflect developments in telecommunications technology was echoed by four Democratic members of the Senate Intelligence Committee. I chose to heed these urgent warnings.

I voted for two measures to amend the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. I preferred the legislation offered by Senators Rockefeller and Levin; however, it failed to gather the 60 votes needed to pass. I also voted for the Bond-McConnell version, which did receive enough votes to pass. Corresponding legislation was later approved by the House of Representatives, and the President quickly signed the bill into law.

It is important to recognize that this legislation is a temporary fix to provide our intelligence community with the most immediate tools needed to protect our country – it will be in place for only six months, and it cannot be renewed before it is thoroughly reviewed and authorized by Congress. This gives us six months to create a more acceptable permanent intelligence collection process that that allows us to effectively monitor terrorist communications overseas while also protecting the privacy of law-abiding American citizens. I can assure you I will be one of the Senators working hard to re-establish the constitutional protections that have been eroded by this President and this temporary FISA legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill
this is a very even-handed response. fair, I would say. I like Claire. I think she has convictions. I am pretty disappointed, however, that she was swayed so heavily by what is now being investigated as a totally bogus terror threat on the Capitol that was used by the Administration to get what they wanted with the FISA bill. See here for some great coverage Keith Olbermann has been giving the topic.

No comments: