Sunday, June 17, 2007

eviscerate your memory




I recently returned from my 5 year college reunion in PA. Bryn Mawr, my alma mater, was simply that in every sense of the Latin translation... a nourishing mother. I spent most of the weekend surrounded by old friends and making new ones. But most of all, reunion for me was about becoming connected again with a place that holds many pieces of my self. They whispered to me across the campus, scratchy answering machine messages that never seem to sound like how you thought they would when you recorded them. How a place can be wrapped up in so many different versions of the same person- all the old best versions of me infused in the trees and glass and stone. Being back made me wonder if I am still affected by the events in my life now as I was during my 4 years there. Do you ever stop becoming the person that you will one day be? I hope that writing more will give me time to reflect instead of just passing through my daily routine. It has become too easy to read others words and not remember to stop and look around once and a while, to leave behind former selves and push myself again.

3 comments:

Webb said...

Are you still affected by the picture of you shotgunning that bear? ahhhhh, nothing like a good liberal arts education. HAHA.

Love,

Your friendly neighborhood pain in the butt brother

Lex Webb said...

it's a very good thing that Facebook and MySpace did not exist when I was an undergrad

Webb said...

i am stupid. should have said beer. you know what i meant. and yes you are lucky you are an old lady.