Sunday, August 8, 2010

you take it on the run, baby

the last month has been a busy one... as evidenced by the lack of posts. I've been here now going on 8 weeks. I finally have my own place: a 2-floor or "masionette" style apartment with an amazing view in the Neustadt, the bohemian-bar-cafe-shopping area that became the heart of Dresden after the bombings destroyed most of the rest of the city. It's great to be in walking distance to so many different distractions. My street, Görlitzer, features among other things, a art house movie theater and a bar named Lebowski. Yes, that sort of Lebowski... are you thinking white Russians? I have yet to venture in, but there's always a crowd and the drinks are purported to be stiff. The Cohen Bros would approve.

View of Görlitzer Str. from the top floor of my apartment

another event occupied several nights in July... the Scheune Schaubuden Sommer festival. I have never experienced anything quite like it. 10 days of theater, dance, cabaret, comedy, music, film... I saw American and Austrailian comics, a Swiss troupe whose finale featured an Elephant singing "Personal Jesus" accompanied by baritone and electric ukulele, a cast of clowns as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse performing songs about death, and a lizard puppet act that included one of the best pick-up lines I've heard. obviously, it was auf Deutsch, but it went a little something like this:

Die Echse: (to a girl in the audience) According to my watch, you're not wearing any underwear. Is this true?
Girl: No, sorry.
Die Echse: Hmm. Maybe I should tell you that my watch is two hours fast...

Buff Papier at Schaubuden Sommer

finally, as I've been deprived of long road rides (so missing that and my cycling friends from the StL...), I've been running a lot instead. actually, I've decided to run the Dresden Marathon in October. 6 weeks into training now and I've already clocked 86 miles total. running has given me a way to explore the city - it's definitely the most scenic place I've ever lived. whether I am running along the Elbe or through the historic buildings of Altstadt, it makes the miles pass faster... though, I should be thinking in kilometers now!

1 comment:

Michael M. said...

Welcome back to blogging! I enjoyed the photographs.