Saturday, April 25, 2009

it's a nice day for a...

Two of my dearest StL friends were married today. Here's the toast I gave them:
When you make new friends in your mid-to-late 20s, you often meet people as part of a couple… where two individuals come prepackaged as one unit, like a pair of snack cakes or something. I moved to Saint Louis for graduate school in 2004 and almost immediately starting hanging out with Alissa, who was then a second year in my neuroscience program. Beyond school and science were knitting and riding bikes and the occasional show. I also got to know her boyfriend, Eric, who may not be aware that I vividly remember him from my interview weekend… when he showed up at Llweyln’s in the Central West End to meet Alissa, stuck graciously entertaining us recruits. At the time I thought, wow, what a nice guy.

I am lucky enough to have been friends with both of them for close to 5 years now. Through a move to South City, the purchasing of their house on Cherokee, 2 Masters degrees (and 3 more to follow), many more bike rides, dinners, art openings, music, long conversations about gardening and food, politics and public health. Through the ups and downs that ALL of us have had. Our friendships have supported each other. I am so thankful that they are both in my life and I hope that having me in theirs has brought them as much happiness and comfort.

This moment is to celebrate Alissa and Eric as a couple. But what I think about is how amazing each of them is as a person, as my friend. They are both so unique and talented and fun to be around. Alissa and Eric, the couple, are not like the pre-packaged snack cakes. First of all, I could hardly imagine either of them being full of preservatives. They are too awesomely independent to be lumped together and sealed in plastic, left sitting on convenience store shelves. Rather, I see Alissa and Eric, the couple, as the combination of two comic book heroes paired to battle some massive foe (except without the tights), or a rocknroll supergroup. They each maintain their own identity and power, but together, totally kick even more ass.

To Alissa. To Eric. To you both. All the best as you continue your lives and your life together. Cheers.

No comments: